Monday, December 1, 2014

A few weeks ago at Texas State University, we had an alleged gun threat.

The University Police dealt with it in an efficient manner.

But my twitter feed blew up with posts about being scared and not feeling safe.

And that really annoyed me.

Yes, gun violence at schools has increased a ton. Yes, that is alarming. But, I believe that I am just as safe today as I was yesterday, and the day before that, the week before that, and even before 9/11/2001.

People point at events like this and say that we need more stringent gun laws. People from the other side retort that we need more people armed so that they can defend themselves and other innocent bystanders.

I don't want every Tom, Dick, and Sally armed, because frankly that is a very scary idea.

I do think we need more stringent gun laws. Psychological screenings. Intensive trainings. Some guns should be really, really, really difficult to get.

I don't want guns outlawed either. I don't have a good reason for that. I just don't.

More stringent gun laws are only the tip of the iceberg though.

Clearly, these events are indicators that something is very wrong with our society. People are broken. They are hurting. They are lashing out in very scary ways. We need to address these underlying psychological issues. We need to help them. We need to help everyone. We need to stop arguing and work together to fix what's obviously broken.

Stay safe,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment