Saturday, April 1, 2017

NaPoWriMo - Day 1

April has finally arrived! Today's prompt is:"to write a Kay-Ryan-esque poem: short, tight lines, rhymes interwoven throughout, maybe an animal or two, and, if you can manage to stuff it in, a sharp little philosophical conclusion." Honestly, I'm not sure I can do all that. Here goes nothing.

We are cruel
to one another
Forgetting
that if nothing else
we are all human.
We hurt, we fight,
we tear, we shoot,
we rip apart.
We yell angrily
And treat others
As less than.
But usually
we treat animals
like friends,
family even.
We can respect
animals but not
our own species?
Well then,
If it is easier
To treat me
with respect
and as an equal,
by pretending
that I
am a cockatoo,
then by all means
treat me as a cockatoo.




The other day, I was ranting in my brain about feminism and I went down a tangent and pondered how people can treat animals so well and other people so poorly and then I thought: If it is easier to treat me with respect and as an equal if you pretend that I'm a cockatoo, then by all means, treat me as a cockatoo. So I actually started this poem with that bit because I had been wanting to work it into something.

Anyway, happy poem writing!

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment