Tuesday, April 4, 2017

NaPoWriMo - Day 4

Oh dear. Today's prompt is to write a poem inspired by Edward Elgar's Enigma Variations. The poem should have an idea or word or line that isn't expressed directly. Actually an idea just came to me . . .

It is November
And it's not too cold
But it kind of is, for a Texan.
I'm bundled up: coat, scarf, hat.
Eating a delicious pastry.
Supposedly French.
It has bacon and egg and potato and cheese.
The pastry crust was oh so delicious.
I threw a small piece to a nearby Sea Gull
The largest gull I've ever seen.
And a totem pole! There is a real totem pole!
I'm taking everything in
And loving every minute of it.
I walk around the area of town near my hotel.
Where I eat a slice of delicious pear.
I should have bought one
But instead I bought a pair of apples for my mom.
I wandered and wandered
And saw them throwing fish.
I didn't know it would be so loud.
And street performers like I never would have expected.
And shops on shops on shops.
Shops for anything you can imagine.
That evening I find myself
Closing down a bar
Standing outside with the bartender
He is smoking
He positions himself downwind.
My cheeks are warm
Am I blushing
Or was it that awful wine?
He notices I'm shivering
Sends me up to my room to get a coat
Teases me when I return
"Did you think I would go?"
We walk around and talk
About what, I couldn't say now.
But it was nice.
Familiar, even though we'd just met.
He explained the soap suds on the roads
And we walked past some other people
Walking the streets like us,
But not.
He points out some buildings.
We must make the block ten times.
I don't know, I didn't count.
The city felt like it was mine that night.
Like we were the only two there
And like we owned it all.
It was ours for that solitary moment in time.
He walks me up to my hotel room
"If I'm never going to see you again,
I think I should kiss you."
I let him,
On my cheek.
Then he is gone like a ghost or a memory.
Maybe it didn't even happen - not really.
Because that is not like me.
The next day I get breakfast
(Another delicious pastry)
A chai tea latte in a oversized cup
People watch
Ride the light rail to the airport.
Fly alone (for the first time)
Home.




Any guesses as to the place I'm describing? I think there is one line that really gives it away.

Good riddling!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment