Monday, August 4, 2014

Advice to College Freshmen from a Senior

So since its August, I’m gonna start with a post for all those nervous freshmen out there.

I remember my freshman year of college, even though I liked school and was commuting from home, I was really scared because I’m shy and I didn’t know anyone who I would be going to school with (admittedly, living at home probably only made this worse – living in the dorms is a blessing because it throws you in the middle of campus and basically forces you to make friends). Anyway, the guy I was dating at the time let me wear his cross necklace the first weeks or so of school to help me feel secure. He reasoned that it would be like he was with me. It helped me adjust, and even though I didn’t make many friends that first year, I felt comfortable at college.

That brief story leads into my first bit of advice:

1. If you’re really nervous about school, wear some of your most favorite, comfortable clothes the first few days, it’ll help you to feel, well, comfortable.

2. Find your classes before the first day of class. Don't be afraid to ask other people for directions to wherever you are going, most people are more than happy to help!

3. Go to class (do not skip - only miss if you seriously must), sit toward the front of the class (whether it’s a huge lecture or a tiny lab), take notes, study, and actually read the book. I know you want to have fun and you feel all free and independent, but the ultimate reason you are in college is to learn something. So please follow this piece of advice.

4. Be respectful. Of your professors, guest lecturers, your peers.

5. Get involved. Get involved. Get involved. Get involved in at least one thing, this will help you to meet people and make friends. If you are invited to the Honors Society for whatever you are studying, join it! It helps to beef up the ol’ resume, plus it will be a good place to learn about opportunities related to your major. If you believe a certain religion, get plugged into that group on campus, trust me, it’ll be good for you. I waited til my junior year of college to get involved with anything, and that was a big mistake! So try out some different student organizations and find one or more place that feels right for you and stick it out through the rest of your college career. Personally, I am (now) involved with Tri-Beta Biological Honors Society, Chi Alpha (a Christian Fellowship), the Wildlife Society, and Sigma Phi Lambda (a Christian sorority).
5a. Don’t just go around joining stuff, actually participate in the various events/volunteering/etc. that your organization(s) do throughout the year.

6. If you are having trouble in class: go to your professor’s office hours and ask for help (throughout the semester), take advantage of on-campus tutoring, go to Supplemental Instruction if it is available, ask a friend who is doing well in the class for help.

7. Go to some of the free, fun events for students, even if you have to go by yourself, just try it!

8. Know when to say no. If someone invites you out late the night before a test, say no. If someone tries to get you to do something you aren’t comfortable with, say no. If you already have way too much on your plate and someone asks you to do something for them, say no.

9. Don’t pull all-nighters, they won’t help you on the test, instead study all semester, make practice tests, go over your notes, and get a good night’s sleep before a test.

10. Remember to call your mom. She misses you and she will be sooo happy to hear from you.



I know you’ve probably heard some or all of that advice before, but I really believe it will help! If you need any specific advice, feel free to ask in the comments! I’ll help if I can.

Wishing you the best this year,

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment