Thursday, August 14, 2014

Depression

In light of recent events, I felt it was the right time to write this post. I am referring to the apparent suicide of Robin Williams on August 11, 2014. I had planned to write a post on Mental Health and, more specifically, Depression during May, Mental Health Awareness Month.

Depression is an important issue to me because in the Spring of 2012, I was struggling with depression. In fact, depression seems to run in the women of my family: my grandma, mother, both of my sisters and I have struggled with depression at some point during our lives. Depression is actually common, if you are depressed, you are NOT alone. There are many who are struggling or who have struggled with depression who you can talk to. Additionally, there are many places that you can go to get help. If you are depressed, please, please, please go get help. Talk to someone.

The two things that helped me the most through my depression were my counselor and my belief in God. I started going to counseling at my school. I went and spoke with my counselor once every two weeks. She gave me "homework" and we discussed the things that were bothering me. She was a sweet lady, easy to talk to, didn't mind if I cried, and really cared about me. If you think that people don't care about you, they do. 

Depression is common among women. Depression is common among freshmen and sophomores in college. This is because college students are under a lot of stress and they are experiencing an extreme change. The good thing about college is that most have free counseling centers for students. My school does. There is nothing wrong with going to counseling. Talking to someone is very important. Please get help. 

It is difficult for me to explain exactly how my faith helped me, except that it was very much like the "Footprints in the Sand" poem. I believe that the Lord was carrying me and holding my hand the whole way through my depression. There were days where I wanted to drop out of school and run away. I just wanted to give up. But I never did and I can't really explain why. I believe that God kept me going.

If you were depressed, and you have overcome it, please share your story with others. It helps to know that other people have been there. You can help to encourage other people. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Use your experience to help others. I shared with my sorority that I had been depressed and that I had gone to get help, when I shared this other girls shared that they had struggled in similar ways. One girl prayed for me thanking God that I had come out of "that black hole" and asking Him to help me to not be depressed again. Other girls told me that I could come to them if I ever started to feel that way again. And one girl hugged me for sharing. The reaction to me sharing that I had been depressed and that I had gone to counseling was completely positive and encouraging. Share your story with others, you never know who you might help.

If you are reading this and you are depressed and you feel that you have no one to reach out to: Please reach out to me. I care about you and I want to help you. I started this blog to help YOU in any way I can.

As for Robin Williams, his death is tragic and will be felt for years to come. He has made me laugh all my life and imagining the man who voiced and ad-libbed Genie not being in the world makes me very sad. To me, Robin Williams always seemed like a wonderful, happy man, but sometimes it is easy to hide things under the surface. I dedicate this post to Robin Williams, a man who made the world laugh. I never met him, but I will never forget him. We love you, Robin.

You Are Loved,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment