Saturday, August 30, 2014

Wisdom Teeth Removal

On Friday, August 29th, I had my bottom wisdom teeth and upper 2nd molars removed. I was really, really scared. But so far, my experience has been quite good.

On Thursday evening, I asked my sorority for prayers because I was scared and multiple girls told me about their experiences with having their wisdom teeth removed.

I'm going to tell you about my experience so that if you have to go through the same thing you will know what to expect and maybe you won't be as scared.

When I got to the oral surgeon Friday morning, they had me read, initial, and sign information about the procedure. My driver also had to fill out a form.

When they called me back, the first thing they had me do was rinse my mouth out with a very strong mouthwash. One of the nurses offered me a blanket which I accepted because I was a little bit cold. They had me on a lot of equipment to monitor my vitals. I had an automatic blood pressure cuff. They also put three electrodes on me to monitor my heart rate: two were beneath my collarbones and the other was near my hip. They put an oxygen monitor on my right index finger. They put me on some oxygen via a little tube thing that sat gently in my nose. Since I have asthma they had me take two puffs of a rescue inhaler just to be sure that my lungs were clear. They also took my temperature using an ear thermometer. The nurse asked who was here with me (my mom and my sister), my mom's name, and when I had eaten last (about 7 the night before; you aren't supposed to eat six hours before surgery).

The anesthesiologist asked me my height and most recent weight so that she could determine the correct amount of anesthesia to give me.

I think I was most nervous about the IV because I don't like shots. My anesthesiologist tied a piece of fabric around my arm to make my vein pop. She had me make a strong fist and then she put the needle in. I looked away while she did it. She said that I would feel a small pinch and to me, it was only a little bit worse than that. Then I said "Was that it?" and she said it was. She told me that the needle was out and that there was a flexible catheter in my arm so I could move my arm to be whatever was most comfortable for me.

The oral surgeon came in and the anesthesiologist briefed him. She told him that I was here with my mom, that I had eaten last night, that I have asthma, and which teeth we were removing. He looked in my mouth and then stepped out of the room.

The other nurse told me that when the anesthesiologist came back in and put the sedative in my IV, she would put a bite block in my mouth to keep my mouth open.

Shortly after that, the anesthesiologist came in and put the sedative into my IV with a syringe and the other nurse put a bite block in my mouth. I must have gone out quickly because I definitely don't remember much after that.

I do think that I might have sort of woken up during surgery, but I didn't feel any pain. I think I heard them talking and I felt a little bit of tugging but I didn't hurt at all. I don't actually know if I woke up or not.

When I did come to, I think the anesthesiologist said that I went under giggling and came to giggling and that was fine with her, but the whole time after the surgery was pretty hazy, so I'm not sure that she actually said that. I think that once I was awake, they removed the IV and all of the other equipment, but I don't actually remember that. I do remember them telling me that they were going to get my mom. They brought her in and told her that I had done well. They also said that I had three spots with stitches: two on the bottom and one on top. My mom asked if there would be a follow up and they said that a follow up wasn't necessary, but to call them if we had any questions or any problems. They asked me if I wanted chocolate or vanilla and I answered chocolate. Later I found out why.

My sister went outside and brought the car around. A nurse helped me into a wheelchair and then wheeled me to the front and helped me into the car and we went home.

They gave me a kit with things for my care. In the kit was extra gauze for my mouth, a cup of chocolate pudding, an irrigator (which I will use next week), a flosser, and a cold pack to ice my face. Not everyone gives you a little kit like this but I really appreciate it and think it is a great idea.

I was prescribed an antibiotic rinse, 800mg of ibuprofen, and hydrocodone.

In general, my pain hasn't been bad and I've had a great experience even though I was very scared. Plus I'm actually not that swollen!

Well Wishes,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment