Saturday, April 14, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 14

Two whole weeks! And currently, I am up-to-date. I did have a brief lapse at the end of week 1, but I jumped back on the wagon and haven't fallen off again since!

Today's prompt is an interesting one: take some words provided by Maureen and create a dream dictionary. I don't know about you, but I've looked up meanings of dreams quite a bit (most frequently: out of control cars, teeth falling out, and it seems like there was another one but I can't recall [just like most of my dreams]). Anyways, back to the prompt, I thought I would take a slightly different approach with this one and smash the words into one dream and make up a meaning for that.

Dear Dream Interpreter Betsy,

I've had the strangest dream; I hope you can interpret it for me:

I searched for a lost ballet slipper
I was going to be late for ballet class
But I could only find a dainty teacup
With a chip taken out of it.

Satisfied with this find,
I left my house
And wound up at the dentist.
He was wielding a hammer
And informed me that
I didn't have an appointment
But he could fit me in
As soon as he dispatched
A squawking seagull.

A little uneasy, alarmed and queasy,
I ran out of his office
Only to fall in the ocean
Just as I bobbed to the top
I realized I was being chased
By a toothsome shark
Who I told needed to see the dentist
Because he had holes in some of his teeth.

I was plucked out of the ocean
By a winsome sailor
Just before the toothy shark
Was able to bite my toes
Which were wearing the lost
Ballet slippers, by the way
He set me down
In a tiny rowboat,
Handed me the oars,
And yelled "man overboard"
As backwards he disembarked.

I rowed to a desert island
Where the only structure
Was a wobbly table
Which winked at me
I sat under it
To take shelter from an approaching storm
As the rain began to fall,
I awoke.

-Honestly Insomnia Would Be Better

Hello Honestly Insomnia!

I'm quite glad you wrote me.
What a dream!
It is full of important
Symbology.
First lets look at the dominant themes
I see:
Ballet, teeth, and all things nautical.
Right away this suggests
You tend to foray
With the uncouth
And aquatical.

More specifically,
Your dream suggests that you feel small and incomplete
You tend to lose your way
(If you have trouble sleeping, you really ought to count sheep!)
The dentist with the hammer has a double meaning:
You feel unequipped for the mundane
But also you desire to put an end
To something annoying and superfluous
At an undecided time.

Sometimes you feel like you lack direction
You are afraid
Of being hurt 
by a dominant figure in your life
Who you see as
flawed and incomplete.

Sometimes you feel as though others give you direction
But don't help you at all
And when you follow their directions
You feel sufficiently equipped
But things don't tend to go well.
Still, things tend to be okay.


My suggestion?
Do whatever you want.
Clearly you know what's best.

And if I'm wrong,
My advice is still
Ironically
spot on.



Well, that was fun!
-Sharon






2 comments:

  1. Good job! I like the structure, with the two sides of the page. This was a tough prompt and I just gave up and did my own thing. It would make for an interesting dream, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like to use opposite sides when it's not the same voice. To me it makes it a lot clearer, but I think it works best when it isn't a back and forth.

      This prompt was quite tough! Sometimes I really have to push them around til I get something out of them!

      Delete