Wednesday, April 18, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 18

Let's get right to it. Today's prompt was to take a poem and cover the whole poem up except for the last line and write your first line that completes or responds to the line and then continue for the rest of the poem.

My first attempt was with "The Red Wheelbarrow" by William Carlos Williams which I must admit I am somewhat familiar with as I remember we read it in English class my junior year of high school. I always remember that while it created a picture, it never really seemed to say or do much and felt rather incomplete to me. Anyways my attempt produced a statement on chickens and ducks:

Do chickens really sing when they lay an egg?
The eggs come in different colors - white, creamy, blue, or green - but always smooth in your hand.
Chickens need water to survive; but supposedly in rain – they will drown.
Chickens aren’t like ducks. Ducks oil their feathers so the water just beads up and glides off.
A wheelbarrow might make a good pond for ducks if you filled it with water, but it might topple over when they jumped out.
Ducks are nice, but chickens seem a little more artistic – especially the roosters with their bright red combs.
The rooster around here likes to hop on things – the dog house, a fence, a large planter – and crow about defeating the dog. He is a bantam – beautiful but very small.
Chickens and ducks are humble creatures and yet so many people depend on them for food. While I like eggs, I find that they, especially ducks, are even more dependable for a smile (although some of them think this egg laying thing is serious business – and don’t even get me started on broody birds).


I really wasn't satisfied with this poem. It didn't feel like authentic me to me. And it was so disjointed and not in a good way. So I went searching for another poem and eventually found the beautiful poem "Invitation to Love" by Paul Laurence Dunbar. And from the bottom to the top, I wrote sort of the opposite.

Invitation to Leave
You are not wanted here.
Go even if it snows.
Go when the summer sun beats on you and sweat stings your eyes
Go even when the trees begin to bud fresh green
Go even if you bring me berries.
Go when the leaves rustle, dry, and fall; when steps crunch under feet.
Stay away even when laughter fills this house so sweet.
Stay away when the tears won’t cease to fall.

Even birds depart the nest they worked so hard to build.
When you are gone, I feel calmest.
Your words are harsh as cannon fodder.
I used to find you sweet but now you’ve turned sour.

You are not wanted here.
If you think of returning, please do not
Go and no matter the hour, stay away.
When the sun dips below the horizon, remember the fire has fizzled out.
And no matter what crops you grow or yards you mow, stay away.
Even if the sun shines on you there, it won’t shine on you here.
And in the dark of night, at the house you won’t find any light.
Even on the brightest night, my love-light has left me pitch black.




So yeah two poems today, because even though the first was a dud, I figured I would share it anyway.


Happy Bottom to Top Writing
Sharon

2 comments:

  1. This prompt was very hard, and I took one look at it and ran hard the other way! Good for you for just jumping in, and even going through the whole chicken one. Maybe doing that one and seeing what didn't work for you enabled you to be able to create the second one, which is really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard! But I'm typically persistent and sometimes that pays off.

      Delete