Friday, April 20, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 19

Another late poem, I'm afraid. Today's prompt was a bit tricky and maybe that's why its late (it seems as though the prompts have been getting trickier and trickier).

April 19th
Today's prompt was to write a paragraph (perhaps directions from your house to the grocery store) and then either erase words from the paragraph to create a poem or use the words as a word bank to create a poem.

I sort of did that. I wrote directions to the grocery store in list form - because they're directions. And then I crammed it into a paragraph and got rid of some of the "less important" words (and, or, the, in etc). Then I sort of just used the words for inspiration and wrote.

The Lone Oak

Over the little narrow bridge
Out on the curvy roads
Where people take their lane out of the center
Past the last house
Eventually you will find
The Lone Oak
He is a friend of mine
Walnut, Juniper, Oak, Ash, Elm
All these trees grow in my realm
But the gnarled old Lone Oak
Is my friend.
I’ve sat under him
When I felt alone
When life seemed as though
It would weather away
My old friend the Lone Oak
Always stays.
Bugs, squirrels, and birds
Call him home.
He plays with the coyotes
He shelters the ‘coons
For any creature
That scurries, climbs, hops, flies
There is always room.
I like to sit down
With my back to his trunk
And sometimes
Look up
Into that mess of
Branches, twigs, and leaves
How many fledglings have known these?
The land around him
May be devoid of trees
But he is a friend to all things.






And because I think they were kind of poetic, I'm including my original directions to the grocery store:

Turn right onto Twin Oak St.
Pass two (or is it three?) houses, I can never remember.
Turn left onto Martindale.
Cross the little narrow bridge – be careful, people like to drive right down the middle
Follow the curves in the road
Stay on your side and don’t go too fast
People like to barrel down the road and often cross into the other lane
Stop at the stop sign that really ought to be a stoplight but isn’t yet.
Wait til your sure its safe
Turn left.
Stop at the stoplight
Go under the overpass.
Slow down on the overpass – cops like to sit up here and wait.
Turn right on the street that goes by the movie theater – I always forget the name.
Walnut maybe?
Take a left turn into the parking lot.
You have arrived at your destination.




No comments:

Post a Comment