Wednesday, April 13, 2016

NaPoWriMo 2016 Day 13

Today's prompt was to write a poem inspired by fortune cookies/fortunes. I've written two poems on fortune cookies. The first is inspired by at least two times that I have opened a fortune cookie with no fortune inside. As for the other, I like to save the fortunes I like so it was inspired by two of my favorite collected fortunes. I quite like the second poem. What do you think? And can you guess which two lines are the actual fortune cookie fortunes?

Empty Fortune Cookies

On occasion,
I have cracked open
A fortune cookie
To find
No fortune inside.
Yes, a fortuneless fortune cookie
I have received
At least twice.
And I wonder if that does not bode well for me?
Is an empty fortune cookie
Unfortunate?
That's how it seems to me.
I have been told by others
That an empty cookie simply means
You make your own fortune
And that makes a lot of sense to me.
How can a piece of paper in a cookie
Tell your future?
And I don't believe in predestination anyway.
Empty fortune cookie
Must mean
You make your own fortune.
Or maybe still
It is an unfortunate thing.



Fortune Collection

All great things had small beginnings.
Be not discouraged if things don't go well.
Follow your heart and you're sure to fail.
But follow your mind and you may not succeed.
Listening to both mind and heart is the key.
Wind is necessary to fly kites.
Keep your feet on the ground and your thoughts at lofty heights.




Feel free to provide me with feedback! I'd love to hear from other NaPoWriMoers/fellow poetry lovers!


May all your fortune cookies be empty,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment