Saturday, April 16, 2016

NaPoWriMo 2016 Day 16 - Almanac Questionnaire Poem

Today's prompt was to quickly answer the Almanac Questionnaire provided on napowrimo.net and then write a poem inspired by or incorporating one or more of the answers. I have done both, I think. It is another love poem . . . Alas, I am ever the hopeless romantic. Immediately below is the questionnaire with my answers (I didn't answer all of the questions). Followed by my poem. I hope you're enjoying this NaPoWriMo! As always, please feel free to comment.

Almanac Questionnaire
Weather: Sunny at first, but then thunderstorms roll in later in the day
Flora: Is seaweed flora? It isn't technically a plant so I'm not sure . . . also, palm trees
Architecture: The White Greek buildings with the blue roofs
Customs: ?
Mammals/reptiles/fish: Horses! Dogs! Seahorses, pipefish, crabs, starfish
Childhood dream:
Found on the Street: Seashells, especially, sand dollars and lightning whelks
Export:
Graffiti:
Lover: My one and only
Conspiracy:
Dress: A white dress with a hand-kerchief hemline and teal and pink embroidery
Hometown memory: Walking with you down to the creek when you gave me my ring
Notable person:
Outside your window, you find: Boxwoods and trees
Today’s news headline:
Scrap from a letter:
Animal from a myth: Phoenix! Sphinx!
Story read to children at night: the Wizard of Oz
You walk three minutes down an alley and you find: A quiet spot, with lights from one building to the other, a cafe table with two chairs
You walk to the border and hear:
What you fear:
Picture on your city’s postcard: The world's largest pecan

Hand in hand we walk
With our toes in the sand.
The tide rolls in cold and crisp.
I release your hand and run into the water
I jump and dance and you can't help but laugh.
You pull me to you
Hold my face in your hands
Smile into my eyes
Then kiss me deeply
I smile against your lips
And we walk again.
I stoop down and pick up shells
Searching for a perfect, intact
Sand dollar or lightning whelk
Sphinx-like,
You watch me quizzically.
We continue walking.
The sun is setting now.
Like a phoenix, it burns out
To rise anew each day.
You spin me and I laugh and sing.
The sky a masterpiece behind us,
Walking along the beach with the one I love
For this moment, at least, all is in perfect harmony.



Love, love, love

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment