Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Napowrimo Day 5

Today's prompt was to write a poem inspired by the oddly interesting names of heirloom vegetables. I have worked the names of a few into a completely unrelated free verse poem.



like a Sunrise full of Bumblebees
at the beginning of an Early Golden Summer
when you Crook your Neck because the sun is so bright,
sometimes I have a Tongue of Fire
and speak my mind freely with no filter
but really I am like a Clemson, Spineless
I always regret those hasty words and wish my tongue was tame
my words are sometimes too big for me to stand behind
and I feel as though they my tongue taunts me, yelling “Fooled You!”
and I wish to retire to a Turkish Striped Monastery
where the monks have taken a vow of silence
so that my words may never betray me again


The heirlooms I incorporated are as follows (not in the order they are in the poem):

Fooled You Hybrid Pepper
Turkish Striped Monastery Tomato
Sunrise Bumblebee Tomato
Clemson Spineless Okra
Early Golden Summer Crookneck Summer Squash
Tongue of Fire Bean
 



Happy Heirloom Inspired Writing!
Sharon

 

No comments:

Post a Comment