Monday, April 25, 2016

Napowrimo 2016 Day 25



In a kingdom by the sea
A knight struck down my heart and conquered me.
But I took more after the sea than he
And forever perplexed my love - he
Could not understand
Why I wanted to venture off to foreign lands
He thought I ought to be content holding hands.
But like the sea I longed to touch distant sands.
He captured me and caged me
This turn of events only enraged me
I was not a trinket to be locked away
I longed to run in nature and play.
One night I flirted with the guard
And snuck away and stowed on a barge.
I travelled across the seas
Far from the knight I once held dear
But then I heard stories of a knight who fell -
in love. Only to be left a lovelorn fool.
The stories said too, the knight had fallen quite ill
My heart pricked - I loved my knight even still.
I returned to that kingdom
And found him laying in a darkened room.
I took his hands in mine and
He looked perplexed at me.
He asked why I'd returned
And I told him that my heart burned
I loved him more
Than any foreign shore.
At last, I was content simply holding his hands.


Today's prompt was to write a poem that begins with a line from another poem. I have chosen the second line of Edgar Allen Poe's Annabel Lee. It has a different overall feel than that poem, but I think it still has a sadness to it. I hope you enjoyed my little story poem. Love always prevails, I think. I suppose its like The Taming of the Shrew, but in this case she was tamed because she wanted to.


Wishing you well,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment