Saturday, April 2, 2016

Napowrimo 2016 - Day 2

Today's prompt was to write a poem in the form of a family portrait. Ms. Thorson suggested spending time discussing each member of your family, but I took a different route. Also, the portrait I reference does exist (though it isn't framed); it is over the couch in the living room at my parents' house. Without further ado:

We smile down from the wall
Six of us in all
Five wear red; one in white.
I smile unaware of how much life will change
Me, the youngest in the frame.
My siblings are all there, but alone
No plus ones I mean.
And my parents are happy too
Because their family is always together over holidays and breaks from school.
Oh, I was such a fool
To think it would stay this way.
When was this picture taken anyway?
Was I in high school?
Or still trying to survive junior high?
Our faces really don’t look very different.
But now my siblings are pairing off.
My parents and I took a family photo for the church directory this year
Just the three of us.
A family of six; reduced by half.
And yet we are more.
My brother, his wife, their son.
My sister, her husband.
My sister, her boyfriend.
You can’t invite one without expecting the other.
They are attached at the very hip
As connected as conjoined twins.
Sometimes I just want to spend time with them
Only them.
My siblings and me.
Why can’t they see?
Maybe I am a little bitter
Because years ago they rejected my significant other

Ah, but that is another thing entirely . . .


2 days down, 28 to go!
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment