Thursday, April 21, 2016

Napowrimo 2016 - Day 21

Today is National Poem in Your Pocket Day! Take a poem and carry it in your pocket, yay!

Today's prompt over at Napowrimo.net is inspired by the style of Rosa Jamali's poetry. Specifically the prompt is to write a poem from the point of a view of a minor character of a fairy tale or myth. Inspired by the thunderstorm we are currently experiencing, I have chosen to write about the dragon in Beowulf. Dragon in Beowulf? You are thinking. After Beowulf kills Grendel, we are told that Beowulf was compared to Sigemund, who killed a dragon all by himself. And THAT is the dragon I am talking about. Additionally, I am wishing I knew how to imitate the sound of a thunderstorm in the form of the poem . . . but I am not talented enough to do that, so I'm trying to find a form that seems appropriate or I may just write in free-verse.


The musky scent of human fills my nostrils
I slowly open my eyes and gaze out
Across my pile of collected gold.
I do not see the man creature,
But I know that he is there.
The sound of rolling thunder echoes throughout my lair
As I clear my throat.
I hear the clink of of coin hitting coin
Cascading down my pile.
I turn toward the sound.
I inhale deeply through my nostrils
Then exhale a sharp, flaming blast.
I do not smell the familiar scent of burnt flesh and hair
As I have when other humans intruded in my lair.
This one must be different; more prepared.
"Who dares enter my lair?"
I growl.
The echo reverberate around the room
Boom, boom, boom.
Suddenly I realize he is right beside me - too late for me to flee
Or burn him into a man cookie.
I feel the sting within my flesh
A spot where the scales had fallen off the night before.
I think this is quite unfortunate
And I feel the end drawing near
And my scaly, reptilian heart fills with fear.
"Haha you blasted lizard."
Is the last thing that echoes in my ear.

I feel bad for the dragon . . .

I hope your poetic escapades are happier than this,
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment