Tuesday, April 19, 2016

NaPoWriMo 2016 Day 19

Per napowrimo.net today's prompt was to write a didactic poem, specifically a poem that instructs the reader on a "practical" skill. However, the practical skill doesn't necessarily have to truly be practical. I rather liked the suggestion of "How to Capture a Mermaid" but I felt that was not creative enough as it was an example so I am attempting to come up with a mythological didactic poem with a topic of my own creation . . .

I have chosen to write the first three stanzas of my poem in the form of a cinquain. The final stanza consists of three lines, the first line contains the main words which were rhymed with (Sphinx, Sahara, and riddle). The other two lines are essentially a couplet. I just sort of ad-libbed this closing and I think it is interesting. Maybe this closing form will one day be named after me? Eh, probably not. (edit: turns out the closing stanza is a costanza more or less, which I have written before but forgotten about)  I have also attempted to incorporate anaphora (which, coincidentally rhymes with Sahara). This is one of my favorite poems that I have written this NaPoWriMo!


How to Stump the Sphinx

a So you want to stump the Sphinx?
b First you'll have to trek across the Sahara
a And ask the creature what it thinks
b I know the journey will be hot and far-a
b But if you succeed you will tell quite the saga

a If you want to stump the Sphinx
b From the Nile, water you will have to draw
a And mix that water with the inks
a Of twenty squids then write with their beaks
b The legend of the pirate of Macedonia

a If you seek to stump the Sphinx
b In a pyramid, you must find a chimera
c When the Sphinx asks you the riddle
c Stand the chimera in the middle
b Of the Nile riviera

In this manner you will deny the mighty Sphinx of the Sahara an answer to his riddle
But stumped by your behavior he will be 
So the Sphinx will let you go free



Having fun yet?
Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment