Sunday, April 17, 2016

NaPoWriMo 2016 Day 17

Today's prompt was to find a specialized dictionary and use some words from it to write a poem. I wanted to use a Dictionary of Biology. I found one here. But it didn't seem very user friendly. So I wanted to use the glossary from my Mammalogy textbook. Despite the fact that I only had the last page of the glossary and my textbook is moldy (how did that happen?!?), I used it. I'm also planning to buy a new non-moldy Mammalogy textbook. I chose words randomly by closing my eyes and pointing a few times.

Zona pellucida
Turbinal bones
Vibrissae
Warren
Vomeronasal organ
Vicariance
Zygapophysis

Oh, boy, this is gonna be a doozy . . .

I am neither thick nor elastic like a zona pellucida
And my turbinal bones make me full of hot air
I have no vibrissae to help me feel
I am more suited to living alone, unlike communal rabbits who live in a warren
I'm not sure if my vomeronasal organ is functional
Perhaps I can use it to detect pheromones; I must use something for that purpose.
I often feel highly vicariant from those around me, though there is no natural barrier separating us.
At the end of the day my zygapophyses are constricted and it feels good to lay down for the night.
I feel weird and isolated from my species and my kingdom.


A combination of two of my favorite things: biology and poetry. Interesting, but definitely could be better.

Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment