Sunday, March 8, 2015

Is It I, Lord? Are You Calling Me?

In 1 Samuel chapter 3, we learn the story of the Lord calling Samuel. Samuel believes it is Eli calling him during the night, he goes to Eli and Eli tells him that he did not call. Three times the Lord called. Three times Samuel thought it was Eli. The third time, Eli realized it was the Lord and told Samuel what to do.

Last year, I heard a minister tell the story of how God called to her as a child (the same way he called Samuel), but she ignored him, he called her again when she was older and she ignored him, he called again when she was a senior in college and she finally began to answer the call.

There is a hymn called, "Here I am, Lord" the chorus says:

Here I am, Lord,
Is it I, Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night
I will go, Lord,
If you lead me,
I will hold your people in my heart.

It's a great song.

In these three examples, the Lord literally called these people. They heard his voice. I'm not sure the Lord always calls in that way.

But I do think he's been calling me.

It's more of a feeling than a voice.

I wish I literally heard his voice calling.

But I haven't, I've just felt the Spirit pulling me.

To what? I'm not sure.

But I pray that my answer to whatever the Lord asks of me is: "Here I am, Lord...I will go, Lord if you lead me, I will hold your people in my heart."

Have you ever felt God calling you to something? How did you know it was God? How did you know what he was calling you to?

No comments:

Post a Comment