Saturday, April 6, 2019

NaPo19 - D6

Today's prompt is to write a poem that focuses on possibilities. Being a person who tends to focus a little too much on the future this shouldn't be too difficult to do. I'll be racing to publish this post/poem before midnight.


You're so young, you have your whole life ahead of you.
Maybe that's why I always feel like I'm waiting for my life to begin . . .
Discontent in the now.

If I weren't paralyzed by all the past rejections,
I would apply and apply for more jobs
Until I finally heard "you're hired"
And I would leave the job that drains rather than fills.
I would be like a modern Miss Frizzle, but in the field or a park
Not the classroom.
Nature would be my office, flowers would be my uniform.
Like the pied piper, I would lead children - and adults
Off a cliff
Into wonder
Introduce them to the sparkling night skies, constellations and meteors
Help them peer closely at a butterfly and learn about the metamorphosis it undergoes
Show them how the world decorates itself in wildflowers
Study frogs, observe toads
We would march, frolic, observe, protect, preserve
Help them discover the wonder of bees, ants
Overcome fears of snakes, spiders, and moths.
Snakes would wrap our fingers like rings
Before we released them safely
Fireflies would be our dance partners
As we sang with the choruses of frogs at night.

If we weren't afraid to love
We would marry in a wooden meadow
I a fairy with a flower crown
Then you would never miss me again
We would explore the world
Eating new foods, climbing new mountains
I would document plants, animals, and friends.
But we would return to our own house
Fall asleep entwined in bed
With the sound of rhythmic rain
Falling on the tin roof overhead.
Then in a few years or months
My belly would swell with love
As our baby grew inside.
She would be born
A fierce thing
With blonde hair and green eyes
You would kiss her head
My heart would melt.
We would teach her
To respect herself and love nature.
To be friendly to strangers and frogs.
When she was learning to drive,
Like her mother,
She would swerve around frogs in the street
And pray that they hopped safely to the other side.

People say I have my whole life ahead of me
And the world is pregnant with possibilities waiting to be born
But I am anxious to begin.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't thought about Miss Frizzle in years! a good role model.

    ReplyDelete