Sunday, April 7, 2019

NaPo19 - Day 7

Just after midnight, I realized that at work yesterday I kept writing the date as 6/6/19 - that would be June. I'll let my manager know in the morning.

For now, we begin the process of processing the NaPo prompt for this one week deep in poetry. Today we are supposed to write a poem of gifts and joy.

Recently I have realized
That the best gift
We can ever give
Or receive

Is forgiveness.

As a child there were times
I made a mistake or hurt a friend
And felt bad
Apologized and was forgiven.

But as an adult
The mistakes I've made are worser.
The hurts are hurter
The wounds are deeper.

When I finally speak the thing I've done outloud
I feel weighted down on the ocean floor by an anchor
My soul is being keel-hauled by the guilt of the thing I've done

In those few moments when I await response
I imagine the worst
Losing you.

You take a deep breath
Visibly upset

But give me the best gift you could:
Forgiveness

"We'll be okay."

My soul cautiously, bubbles up from the Challenger Deep
and surfaces.
I look at you curiously through my periscope.
I wonder at the treasure I have found
How is it that you love me so much
You can forgive

Even that?


-Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment