Monday, April 6, 2020

NaPo20 - 5

Today's prompt is a bit tricky (and, therefore,  my poem is late). It is to use "Twenty Little Poetry Projects" in your poem. For the list of these click here. I think I did about half of them and made this rambling poem.

The ephemeral knife of isolation
Stabs quickly and deep
You can smell the sharpness of it plainly
It is an acrid odor that grows slowly
It makes your eyes water
As you feel more and more lonely.
King Arthur tasted it when he lost his love Guinevere
Yes, perhaps it would be better
To live in Glasgow, Montana
Than to self isolate.

When I cook,
When I sleep,
When I walk,
Or when I sing,
I realize that freedom
Is a state of mind more than anything
But when I dance
Or when I sneeze
I realize that
In times of fear
We may sacrifice freedoms
For perceived protections.

Always be aware of your protector
And their motivations
And devotions
We hold tight to our freedoms,
But when we give them up
To the wrong authority
We will not see them returned.

Its hard to interact with anyone
Before someone starts to wax philosophical
Or even worse, political
And in times where I can't escape the polity of the day
I think
Self isolation is grand.

So take me to a cottage by the sea
With a certain je ne sais quoi
Where the wind and waves call to me.
I'll garden and gab
And life will be glad
And I will host no more parties
And rub elbows with no snobs
And that will just be the glob,
Yes, that will be the glob.

No comments:

Post a Comment