Monday, April 6, 2020

NaPo20 - D6

Another strange prompt today. The prompt was to look at Hieronymous Bosch's painting "The Garden of Earthly Delights" and choose a figure in that work to write a poem from the persepctive of that character. There is a lot going on in the painting and I found it a bit overwhelming, but I did a little reading on the painting and the painter and chose to write something from Bosch's POV instead (which was another possibility suggested in the prompt).

I look out through my triptych
At the art scholars of the day
They question what it means
What I was trying to say

They travel from all over the world
To see me here in Madrid, Spain
They discuss if its about lust
Or if I was warning of after-life pain

They devote websites to my work
They celebrate it even now
Five hundred years and then some
And my work can still wow!

I don't mind them puzzling
I don't mind that the meaning is lost
I am painter
As long as they question my work,
My memory will remain.

I will live on forever
As people peruse my work
As they argue its true meanings
And say its a lustful work

I will get the last laugh
I will outlive all the people
Who wander museum halls
It is my name they ponder
Who was Hieronymous Bosch?

2 comments:

  1. I've been clueless on writing for today's prompt as I don't enjoy writing such scenes. Your poem gave me a cue :) Loved your take on it. Will try soon now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed my poem and that I could help you find a direction for your poem! I was overwhelmed too.

      Delete