Tuesday, April 10, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 10

April 10th

a poem about things happening simultaneously

Oxymoronic

Being both happy and sad
Feeling both in love and heartbroken
Is oxymoronic
But true

At the wedding I see them
The bride and the groom
Singing to one another as they dance
I feel happy for them
But I long for a song in my ear

It was so sweet
You held me close
And sang softly in my ear
Your whispy voice only for me to hear
You were happy then

But at the present I sit alone
Surrounded by my family
You are not here.

The bride and groom look so in love
They can't take their eyes off each other
I remember when you looked at me that way
That time when your mother would say,
"True love ain't got nothing on them"
It was so sweet to hear.

The DJ calls the single ladies to the floor
I traipse out once more
I line up with the other few
Stepping back avoiding that
Dreaded - and longed for - catch
The bouquet
A sign to say
"I too will marry soon one day."

I think of the day not too long ago
When you told me
You didn't want to get married
And it felt as though my heart broke
Into a thousand shattered pieces
But even all those sharp edges
have never stopped loving you.

I think of the night we walked on the pier
You pulled my hair back
And I waited patiently
As you ran your fingers through
The tangles carefully
Separated it into three
And braided my hair for me.

I don't understand at all
How you can say
You love me most
But you don't want to marry me one day.

Nevertheless,
all my sharp edges
shall go on loving you
anyway.




To be quite honest, I hadn't planned to publish this poem the first go around. I stayed up late watching shows online and during a commercial break, popped over to see the prompt for today. As I watched another episode nascent ideas for this poem began to pop in my head. I was about to go to bed when I decided to jot down my ideas lest they flit away the way they often do. But after writing it all out and only making a few small changes here and there, I am going to go ahead and publish it because I think it turned out quite okay.


What do you think dear Reader?
Hope your poems treat you well,
Sharon

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed this bittersweet poem Sharon. It was so honest and poignant. Thanks for sharing. So day 11 of the challenge and this is my response to today's prompt in case you have time to read?

    https://peacockpoetryblog.wordpress.com/2018/04/11/back-to-the-future/

    ReplyDelete