Sunday, April 22, 2018

NaPoWriMo 2018 - Day 22

Today's prompt is to take one of several impossible phrases and write a poem in which the impossible occurs. Since I chose a funny topic; I thought I would use a limerick(ish). Here's a fun one to start of your Sunday:

 There once was a farmer who farmed all his life
 But never would he agree to help his wife
 When it came to raising their son
 He was quite the unhelpful one
 In their marriage it caused much strife

 He wouldn't give another thought to cleaning the chicken coop
 He didn't even mind cleaning the pig sty's goop
 But when it came to a diaper
 He wouldn't even be a wiper
 So his wife was forced to clean all diapers - both pee and poop

 One day their son was a little sick
 The farmer didn't care a lick
 His wife worked all night
 In the morning she started a fight
 Hoping that would do the trick

 "I've had it with you!" She yelled
"His diarrhea diapers quite smelled."
 But the farmer refused to aquiesce
 To his dear wife's request
 So her frustration went unquelled.

 She followed him out to the sty
 Whereupon she started to cry
 "Just help me out"
 "Just change one diaper!" She did shout.
 His reply: "I'll change a diaper when pigs fly!"

 Oh that really got her goat
 And the farmer went to town to gloat
 But his wife she did stew
 For she didn't know what to do
 So she went to talk to the women at the moat.

 To the other women she talked
  And around her even more  flocked
 Those other women began to stew
 Later told their husbands "I've got a beef with you!"
 At her tale those women gawked.

 With the anger of a hundred women, she headed home
 And grew angrier still upon seeing the dome
 On the silo's top
 Nothing could make her anger stop
 As she watched her husband work in the loam.

 When he finally came back inside
 Her anger was still quite unsatisfied
 "Since only flying pigs will win your help"
 "I'll see that they do!" She did yelp.
 The farmer rolled his eyes knowing his wife lied.

 Then out their window; right before their eyes
 A tornado appeared in the skies
 It dropped to the ground
 Where it spun round and round
 And lifted all the pigs out of their sties.

 The farmer's jaw dropped to the floor for he knew
 What his wife would soon make him do.
 She held out their baby, winking
 And his diaper was stinking
 That day, pigs flew! Yes it's true!

 Neighbors came from near and far
 As the farmer wished he were at a bar
 The women let out a cheer:
 "He got what he deserved, dear!"
As he cleaned that poopy diaper.

 And you know the rest
 The wife satisfied with her quest
 Sat down in a chair
 While the farmer searched out fresh air
 He always remained at her behest.

 Never again would a diaper she change
 Because for all his trying he couldn't rearrange
 So whether they be poop or pee
 Diapers were now the farmer's responsibility
 She even brought baby to him out on the range!

Now you've heard my tale
I hope you've listened quite well
Learn from the farmer's mistake
Do not wish for swine to uptake
Or else the clouds will form a powerful cell!



Hehe, I had fun with that one
-Sharon

2 comments:

  1. OMG, that was funny! I love how you made a story of it, with some challenging rhymes, too, and I had to keep reading to see how it ended!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was longer than I intended, but I had fun with it so I got carried away!
    My mom helped me brainstorm an idea (I thought of a tornado with pigs in it; she suggested a farmer who wouldn't change diapers). And then I just ran with it!

    ReplyDelete