Tuesday, April 14, 2015

NaPoWriMo Day 14: Dialogue - Conversation Hearts

Last semester, I was feeling very burned out, so I took a spiral and found a quiet spot next to a bald cypress and a pond on campus. There were some ducks on the pond and that day I wrote a poem that was a conversation between myself and the duck, which would be perfect for today's prompt, unfortunately. I'm not entirely sure where that spiral is so I'm going to write a new dialogue poem today (but not between myself and a duck).


Conversation Hearts
Half of my heart
Says it wants to fall in love with someone new.

But the other half
Says it wants to fall in love with you


Why?
The feelings are stale
The butterflies,
The fireworks,
Aren't there.

Don't you want the excitement
Of someone new?
To fall in love again
To learn someone's 
Past
Present
Dreams
Again.

He is changing I see
And I think he is the right one for me
He is comfortable
Strong
He will keep me safe
New is uncertain
And opens me up to be broken

Why would you want to break again?
To have to put everything back together again?

Someone new could break you
It is true
But he could break you too.
You've got to take risks
If you want to find love
Whether someone new or old
You might get broken
The story is untold

But the facts are these:
He broke you before,
He can do it again.
Why give him a chance again?

You say those feelings of love
Are gone
And that is true
But that is because this is old love
Not new
The point of love is not to feel the
Butterflies and the fireworks
Its years in the future
When you are old
And your husband is there by your side
As you look back on your life
You may not feel the excitement
But that doesn't mean the love is faded
You are just jaded.

Jaded? Jaded?
I am not jaded!
It is you who was jaded these past years
Angry and so full of fears.
I am ready to move forward
And take a chance
But you only want to look back

I am looking back
Accepting the good with the bad
Do you not remember,
there was more good than bad?
I am simply unwilling to give up 
On what we had.
But I want to move forward
I am looking to the future
With an eye to the past.
We had a love that might last.

I want to try again

With him
With someone new





A heart divided cannot make up its mind.


Take a chance on love, old or new,
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment