Monday, April 6, 2015

NaPoWriMo - Day 6: Aubade

Today's challenge is to write an aubade: a morning poem, traditionally about lovers parting ways...but I'm not a morning person.


The sun dances through the blinds
Even though they were closed tightly to keep him out
He tickles my eyelids and they heavily blink open
I look at the time and see there is still time for me to sleep
I roll over, but the sun, he is persistent and he does like to intrude
I close my eyes more tightly, willing myself back to sleep
I pull my blanket around me, but the sun keeps on knocking - how rude!
I begin to fall asleep in spite of the sun's best attempts
But a new tactic he begins
The birds begin to sing - a beautiful thing,
Were I not trying to sleep.
I will them to be quiet, so that I may get a few more minutes in
But it is to no avail
The chorus becomes louder and is joined by more.
I pull my blanket around me, but the birds keep on singing - how rude!
It seems a frantic sort of lullaby and I
                                                             begin to seek
                                                                                   the soft embrace
                                                                                                              of slumber...
When                      noise                              the    
              a  jarring                 comes through          room

It is not harmonious like the bird's sweet singing
Alas, my own devices have turned against me
It   is   my     alarm
"TIME TO GET UP" it yells, unharmoniously
I roll over and shut it off.

I stare at the ceiling and wish it were night again
The time when all is dark
And all is peace
And I can stay up all night or get some sleep...

But alas it is morning and that means
Work
And school.

I emerge from the warmth of my bed
Try to shake the sleep from my head
But I only yawn instead!
Not being a coffee drinker
I decide to forgo the tinker - ings
Of morning beverages.
And instead get dressed and hurry off to work
Because I am already
Running late.  




I had fun with this one, there is rarely a morning when I like to get up, I am a night owl ruled by morning people! Maybe that would be a good title for this poem.... This is pretty much how my morning wake up ordeal goes every morning. I am still yawning even though I've been up for awhile now. I've been wanting to write an Easter poem, and I think a more happy aubade would be a good way to go about it.... Maybe I'll write another poem today? We'll see...


Still yawning and refusing to drink coffee,
Sharon

3 comments:

  1. typical feelings sentiments and 'mornings do dawn like this' enjoyed the poem...enjoyed with a cup of tea though...coffee is not that popular here...best wishes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love tea! But coffee is definitely the preferred drink here and I can't stand it.

      Delete
  2. I like it. I'm not a morning people either.

    ReplyDelete