Wednesday, April 22, 2015

NaPoWriMo Day 22 & 21


Ever since I fell off the band-wagon a couple of days ago, I have been having trouble keeping up with writing a poem every day.Yesterday, I was inspired by ducks and geese and nature and general, but even though I had a journal, I realized I didn't have the pen. So the words were given to nature and I have forgotten them.

Since I missed yesterday, today is gonna be a twofer.

Day 22
Prompt: Pastoral poem....The poem I wanted to write yesterday would've been perfect for this prompt! Oh well. I shall draw on my inspiration from yesterday to try and write this poem.


In the hour or so before the sun goes down
If you tread quietly you may enter
A room not many have occasion to visit.
In this room there is barely space for myself.
I happened upon it by accident the other day
But having no obligations for hours,
I chose to stay.
The first inhabitant I noticed was a duck
Laying lonesome on the ground.
He looked at me
And I at him
I wondered, where was his friend?
He did not know if I was friend or foe
So though, he was tired and wanted sleep
He kept his eye open on me.
I lay on the grass near him for awhile
And watched the surface of a nearby pond
I could tell that there was something in the water
By the occasional splash
Finally, I got up and moved closer to the water
And found another duck
Searching for dinner in the muck
I gave her her space,
Respect is the only way you can remain in this place
I watched her working for her meal for a moment
Before I continued to move deeper into the room.
Accidentally, I spooked a wary vulture from his roost.
I found a pair of geese and their pair of goslings
Laying in the grass as nervous parents wondered
If I were friend or foe.
I gave them their space because I did not want to be attacked by geese, you know?
Respect is so important to the inhabitants of this room.
I sat on the ground next to the vultures vacated roost
And watched a heron slowly stalk his dinner
Though I never saw him eat
He slowly moved along the bank
Looking for a meal, his hunger to satiate.
I soon had to leave the room though
And past by the heron
Who not knowing if I were friend or foe
Moved slowly toward the other bank.
I was sorry that I had to go
But I had obligations to keep
But nature is always there
If we will only tread on quiet feet.






Day 21:
Prompt: An erasure. I was having trouble deciding what passage of writing to use, so I just chose this one from one of my pinterest boards. It was sort of difficult for me to eliminate words because I do like this passage a lot. But I think it was transformed at least a little bit.



Happy Earth Day, everyone!
Sharon


No comments:

Post a Comment